Moen Chem-Dry Carpet Cleaning Tips
Proper care and maintenance of your carpet will extend its useful life and preserve its appearance for years and years. Failure to take care of it will result in premature wear. Additionally, clean carpets contribute to a healthy indoor environment. Dirty carpets can be unhealthful indeed.
Your carpets actually promote a healthier indoor environment by holding otherwise airborne allergens, dust, and other contaminants like a filter. Don't take our word for it. Run your hand over your carpet in a well-lit room and see what is released into the air.
This filter, though, must be emptied every six months through professional carpet cleaning to continue to be effective. Many people assume that the best way to clean is to "soak" their carpets and "suck" the water back out, the method commonly known as steam cleaning. But this soggy approach may introduce soap residue, contaminants, and excess moisture, providing a fertile breeding ground for mold, mildew, and bacteria.
Simple Carpet Care Tips
Save yourself money and maintain a healthy home by using the following simple carpet care tips.
- Vacuum your carpets three times a week using a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate) filter.
- Remove stains and spills as promptly as possible. This is best achieved with Chem-Dry Professional Strength Spot Remover. Remove as much excess as possible, then apply and blot with a clean white cloth. DO NOT rub the spot as this might grind the stain in further.
- Have your carpets cleaned and protected at least twice a year, or more often if you have children or pets.
- Utilize a carpet Protectant and Sanitizer to ensure the stain protection continues after the initial factory solution wears.
Traffic Lane Gray
Like all textiles, carpets will eventually show signs of wear. The wear creates an illusion of soiling, which often causes frustration and misunderstanding between the homeowners and carpet care experts. Even though a carpet has been cleaned, it does not mean the traffic areas will look clean. Traffic areas are those places where people are constantly walking or working. This situation creates what is called "traffic lane gray".
There is not a lot that a carpet care expert can do with traffic lane gray. When a 10-year old carpet is cleaned, you will end up with a clean 10-year old carpet. It may not appear the way you had hoped. The easiest way to slow down this process is by rearranging the furniture so traffic areas are changed or just add area rugs.
Spot Removal Tips
Whether they are dribbles or disasters, food and beverage stains are part of everybody's life. Before the next one happens to you, read the tips and suggestions we have compiled for you here and get some Chem-Dry professional home care products to wipe that stain clean when it inevitably happens. If your carpet has been treated with Chem-Dry's Protectant, then you already have a huge advantage in removing stains.
- Act Quickly - The longer the stain is allowed to remain, the more chance it has to set.
- Know what kind of stain you are working on as well as the type of fabric or surface it is on so you can choose the best product. View the list below to see which product to use for water or oil based spots.
- Remove as much excess stain as you can by blotting, scraping or brushing whatever will come off. DO NOT rub it in.
- Test all fabrics and carpets before cleaning by spraying a small amount of Chem-Dry Professional Strength Spot Remover or Chem-Dry Grease & Oil Remover on a hidden area, blot dry and observe for 10 minutes. Make sure there is not carpet color removal onto the cloth and that, when dry, there is not a visible discoloration in the area you cleaned.
- Work from the outside edge of the stain to the inside to keep the stain from spreading.
- Contact Chem-Dry for expert spot & stain removal if these efforts do not work.
- Have a Chem-Dry Professional apply our Powerguard Protector with every cleaning to give you the best chance for removing stains.
Chem-Dry Professional Strength Spot Remover
|*Acne Med||*Dye||Liquor||Adhesive Tape||Hand Lotion||Oil|
|Beer||Excrement||Soft Drinks||Butter||Lamp Oil||Paint|
|*Beetroot||*Food Coloring||*Soy Sauce||Candy||Linseed Oil||Play-do|
|Blood||Garden Soil||Starch||Cooking Oil||Lotion||Rubber Cement|
|Butter||Glue (wet)||*Tea||Crayon||Machine Oil||Shoe Polish|
|Cheese||Grout (wet)||*Urine||*Furniture Polish||Marker||Tar|
|Chocolate||Ice Cream||*Vomit||Glue||Mascara||Tree Sap|
|*Cough Syrup||Lard||Gum||Metal Polish|
|*Curry||Latex Paint (wet)||Hair Oil||*Nail Polish|
* These items can chemically damage carpet fibers which may require a Chem-Dry Professional's assistance. Please be EXTREMELY careful with ink. For larger spills call your local Chem-Dry representative.
Oriental Rug Care Tips
Every area rug requires special care to maximize the life and durability of the piece. When purchasing an area rug, be sure to note the fiber types and origins of the rug. This information may be helpful as your Chem-Dry technician offers a specialized cleaning plan to ensure longevity.
Avoid spills on your area rug. If a spill happens, quickly remove as much of the spot as possible using a dry white towel or wet suction extractor. Depending on the type of carpet fibers, hot water may damage your rug (consult with a Chem-Dry specialist on how to best handle your specific rug).
Protect your area rug with our specialty protection. Each formula is designed to match the needs of your carpet fibers to help minimize stains and make cleaning up spills easier.
Avoid leaving an area rug in direct or partial sunlight as fading may occur. Routinely clean your area rugs professionally.
Leather Care Tips
Various types of leather require different care processes
- Aniline - Also known as natural, pure, naked or unprotected leather.
- Protected - Also known as finished semi-aniline, everyday, pigmented and painted leather.
- Nubuck - Also known as chaps, distressed, bomber and suede leather.
Leather, when properly maintained, will last four or five times longer than fabric or man-made fibers. Over time, body oils, perspiration, skin acids and other soils can work their way into the leather. Many cleaning products currently on the market are not appropriate for leather – and they may break down leather finishes, promoting dryness and cracking. Chem-Dry leather care products are safe and effective for leather and have been endorsed by more than 300 tanneries and manufacturers.
Over the life of your furniture, you are bound to experience some of the common problems associated with leather furniture. Our Chem-Dry Certified Technicians are trained to address these problems. Chem-Dry has 60 stock pigment colors similar to those used in the tanning process to repair the inevitable scrape or scratch on protected leathers. We can also revitalize color on sensitive aniline leathers.
Why Should I Protect My Leather?
- Oils & Grease - Body oils from both humans and animals attach and hold on to leather. Body oils are easily transferred to the head cushions and armrests of the furniture and can cause serious damage to the protective finishes found on leather.
- Atmospheric Soils - Consider the dust that builds up on a coffee table or desk over a week�s time. This same dust is being deposited on your leather. Additionally, consider the airborne cooking oils and atmospheric pollution that are present, to some degree, in every home. These elements can wear down leather over time.
- Common Soils - These soils include dirt tracked in from outside along with sand and fibers from plants, brought into the home by people and pets.
- Dyes and Inks - The inks from newspapers and dyes from denim can transfer onto leather in a process called dye transfer. Additionally, the risk of ink from a leaky pen or the aspiring toddler who loves to draw should not be forgotten.
How Often Should I Clean My Leather?
A regular cleaning schedule includes professional cleaning two times a year is recommended. Between professional cleanings, you can maintain the health and beauty of your leather furniture by cleaning with Chem-Dry Soft Cleaner and rejuvenating the protection with Chem-Dry Protection Cream. Both products are found in the Chem-Dry Home Leather Care Kit.
Call Us for Your Free Estimate!
Get Superior Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning. Give us a call at (843) 873-5288 Mon-Sat from 8am to 6pm. Also feel free to contact us for any special concerns or requests you may have. We look forward to hearing from you.Back To Top